Friday 4 July 2014

Q and As – June 2014

Volunteers Needed: The South Vancouver Island Angler Coalition needs help this weekend, June 14 and 15 at their major fundraiser: The 2014 Juan de Fuca Fishing Tournament. If you can lend a hand for a few hours at Pedder Bay Marina, Saturday, 8 AM to 6 PM; or at Langford Legion, Sunday, 10 AM to 6 PM, call Chris Bos: 778-426-4141 – chris@anglerscoalition.com; or, Christopher Miller: 250-217-7301 – members@anglerscoalition.com.

Fraser 5-2 Spring, and Summer Fraser Chinook. The Albion test fishery, in the May 5 to 31 period was five chinook, slightly more than 2012. “Based on this input, the current predicted return… to the mouth of the Fraser ranges from 31,000 to 58,000 chinook (median: 42,250).” The Salmon Outlook predicted 25,000 fish in January. So a slight increase. If you want to receive these emails from DFO, send a note: opscentre@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

DFO and Fish Farm Expansion: The Pacific Region Marine Finfish Integrated Management of Aquaculture Plan, 2013 arrived on my desk last week. I sent a note to Min Shea pointing out Commissioner Cohen told the government to take fish farms out of DFO’s mandate and make them focus solely on wild salmon.

Here is one paragraph: “The BC Stats report noted… shows conclusively that fish farms are flat-lined in BC, and it’s because no one here will eat the stuff, and it has to be exported to the USA. But there, with the removal of a 26% duty, the Norwegian companies that own 90% of BC fish farms will be exporting against the interests of their own BC operations, as well as setting up shop in the USA. BC fish farms are toast and it is their own companies that are doing it to them. It has nothing to do with the strictness of the laws as you have claimed – it’s the companies themselves. You can’t grow what can’t be sold. Oh, and that BC Stats doc is your own DFO document that you paid for but don’t use any more than you do Cohen’s 1200 page tome. Use them.”

Here is the link: http://www.fishfarmnews.blogspot.ca/2014/06/dfo-and-nancy-greene-fish-farms-in-bc.html.

Ken Messerschmidt: I read with great interest your reference to spring salmon caught long ago in May and June in Saanich Inlet.  What really intrigued me was you mentioned good size springs that you picked up between McCurdy Point and McKenzie Bay (we never used the term “Bight”), were invariably hatchery fish from two Washington State hatcheries! When you made mention of the fact that, you could almost “predict the actual moment of the fish taking the lure”; well, this sure echoed what I recall. To further fuel my enthusiasm, I recently heard of two 25 lb. springs, caught by the same fisherman in early May at the mouth of Patricia Bay. As I understand it, they were also Washington Hatchery sourced fish.

This past weekend, a friend told me of another fishing enthusiast who caught a couple of springs, this past week in the Fairfax Point region that were hatchery fish. Finally, I’m sure you heard about the 34 lb. spring caught off North Pender Island bluffs. This was the fish, caught in early May that won the Sidney Anglers Association Derby; which, you guessed it, was also a hatchery fish.

DC: Thanks for this. By now, meaning June, hatchery fish caught from Coal Island and south are probably Frasers because the Washington State fish we were protecting were spring springs, as in March to May, runs of wild ‘springers’, as they are called in the States.

Thermacell Outdoor Lantern: Last year on my annual Van Isle camping trip ( I have never actually been rained on, if you can believe it), I took along a lantern that keeps mosquitos and no-see-ums away from your flesh once evening humidity rises. It worked.

Not only did it light the area under my gazebo, a good ten-foot square – I spare no expense in my camping. My tent would house Ghadaffi and his entire harem, although I would not have let him come in – but it has a strong insect repellent device. You load it, get it running and then it works all evening. The lantern is portable, so no stumbling around in the forest at night.

Apparently, The Outdoor Lantern has been tested by and is used by the Department of Defense and the United States Army, making it the most effective insect repellent device on the market. It is DEET- and odour-free and weighs 13 ounces. Good for camping, as well as patios, backyards, decks, picnics and-barbecues. It uses the chemical allethrin which is the insecticide found in chrysanthemums. The butane cartridge which powers the repellent provides 12 hours of power.

Jack Seedhouse: In case you didn't know, the Charlotte Princess is evidently up for sale on Used Victoria for the paltry sum of $ 375,000.00.

DC: Sad indeed. The Charlotte Princess was my first trip to the Queen Charlottes in 1996. It seems a long time ago, though I can remember the dozens of bald eagles in the mist-smoky trees, and how their calls seemed so small in comparison with their large size.

I dropped an Extra Large Herring to the bottom a couple of miles off Lacey. It bounced once and was glommed by what proved to be, after 30 minutes of winching the frigging thing off the bottom, a 100 pound halibut. I was going to release it but the photographer that I was with – in another boat – said he wanted it. He hit it so hard with his harpoon that he broke it and had to use mine.

I suggested he might want to hogtie it rather than drag it on-board the OBMG skiffs I am sure many readers will remember. But he did not do so, so I was treated to him retreating to the bow while it smashed everything to smithereens, along with his $20,000 of paparazzi gear. I am sort of sorry to admit I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my boat.

Here is what Oak Bay Marine Group has to say: http://www.mvcharlotteprincess.com/.
1,014 Words

dcreid@catchsalmonbc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment